Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mad Men inspired 50's Era Makeup


I love the tv show Mad Men. The glamour, the fashion, that whole era was amazing. So when my friend Alisha Godin asked me to do her makeup for an independent film set in the 1950's I was so excited to do it.

I was inspired by Betty, January Jone's character in Mad Men. To achieve this look I applied foundation one shade lighter to her face and set it with translucent powder. Makeup was very matte back then and the women in the 1950's tried to achieve that porcelain skin look so that is why I went one shade lighter for her foundation. Then I applied a soft pink blush and highlighting powder on the top of her cheek bones to give her a pretty rosy glow. For her eyes we used a neutral soft brown eyeshadow with a matte finish and applied jet black gel eyeliner winged out at the corner for that doe eyed effect Audrey Hepburn made so famous.Alisha has long thick lashes so I just curled and set them with a black mascara paying extra attention to the outer corner lashes to wing them out even more. I then emphasized her brows with a charcoal brown brow powder making them even more highly arched and defined than normal. And of course to complete the look fire engine red lips lined and defined, especially the cupids bow to stay true to the 1950's look.

I loved how her makeup turned out!

1 comment:

  1. Make up for men

    This blog is highly informatics, crisp and clear. Here everything has been described in systematic manner so that reader could get maximum information and learn many things. This is one of the best blogs I have read.

    ReplyDelete